Mallet Ranch Headquarters Court

Posted by & filed under .

Mallet Ranch Headquarters Court 3917 Wrangler, Levelland, TX 79336 The Mallet Ranch, located approximately 45 miles southwest of Lubbock, was established by David DeVitt and John Scharbauer in 1895. DeVitt and Scharbauer purchased 53,000 acres on the Llano Estacado. Constructed between 1895 and 1948, the ranch headquarters still has five of the original headquarter structures.... More »

Citizens Savings Bank Building

Posted by & filed under .

Citizens Savings Bank Building 111 N Walnut St, Jefferson, TX 75657 The Citizens Savings Bank building was constructed in 1871 during the commercial boom of Jefferson. The property was sold in 1897 and is currently owned by a private individual. Representative of small towns in Texas, the former two-story commercial building has not been maintained... More »

The Hendley Building

Posted by & filed under .

The Hendley Building 2000-2016 Strand St, Galveston, TX 77550 The Hendley Building is the oldest remaining commercial building in Galveston. Constructed in 1860, the Greek Revival-style building is actually four, attached brick buildings located in the Strand National Historic Landmark District. The building was constructed to serve as offices for brothers William and Joseph Hendley,... More »

The Caples Building

Posted by & filed under .

The Caples Building 300 E San Antonio Ave, El Paso, TX 79901 Designed by Henry C. Trost for Richard Caples, a former mayor of El Paso, the 1909 commercial building was the first reinforced concrete structure in El Paso. The Caples Building originally was constructed as a five-story, U-shaped building, and in 1915-1916Trost was commissioned... More »

Port of El Copano

Posted by & filed under .

Port of El Copano Near Bayside, TX, Refugio County El Copano was established in 1722 by the Spanish to service the missions and military garrisons at Refugio, Goliad, and San Antonio. Wharves, warehouse, and commercial establishments were built as seagoing vessels moved cargo and people. El Copano was the main port of entry for Irish... More »

First Christian Church – SAVED!

Posted by & filed under .

First Christian Church 508 Ave C, Santa Anna, TX 76878 Constructed in 1901, the First Christian Church is the oldest church building in Santa Anna. Many of the exterior and interior detailing remain such as the clapboard siding, wainscoting, pews, and pulpit. The congregation still uses the church building every Sunday for Bible study, however,... More »

Booker T. Washington School

Posted by & filed under .

Booker T. Washington School 401 Fort Worth St, Wellington, TX 79095 The school played a key role in the development of the African-American communities in Wellington and nearby towns. The Booker T. Washington School is believed to be the first brick school for African-American children in West Texas, and the two-room structure cost $5,000 to... More »

Texas & Pacific Warehouse

Posted by & filed under .

Texas & Pacific Warehouse 200-300 Blocks of W Lancaster Ave, Fort Worth, TX 76102 The Texas & Pacific Warehouse was constructed in 1931 as a part of a three building complex along Fort Worth’s Front Street, renamed Lancaster Avenue for Texas & Pacific Railway’s President, John Lancaster. In addition to the warehouse, the complex includes... More »

Livestone Lodge #152 – DEMOLISHED

Posted by & filed under .

Livestone Lodge #152 1801 Beaumont St, Grand Prairie, TX 75051 Built in 1903, the lodge building was constructed near the African American community known as "The Line" as it was a row of homesteads owned by recently freed slaves. The Lodge building was used for other community activities for "The Line" residents in addition to... More »

Statler Hilton Hotel

Posted by & filed under .

Statler Hilton Hotel 1914 Commerce St, Dallas, TX 75201 Completed in 1956 at a cost of $16 million, the Statler Hotel was the first major hotel built in Dallas in nearly three decades and the largest convention facility built in the South. It stands 19 stories high and included 1,000 guest rooms and a ballroom... More »