Posts Categorized: Most Endangered

Falls County Courthouse

Posted by & filed under .

Falls County Courthouse Marlin (Falls County) Designed by architect Arthur E. Thomas and built in 1938 in the iconic Art Moderne Style, the Falls County Courthouse boasts details such as stonework featuring stylized eagles, symmetrical organically-derived ornament on the spandrels, and geometric motifs on some pilasters. A three-story central tower accentuates its symmetrical façade, and... More »

Rio Vista Farm

Posted by & filed under .

Rio Vista Farm Socorro (El Paso County) Established in 1915 as El Paso’s second poor farm, Rio Vista Farm flourished through the Great Depression in 1929 and began hosting an array of public welfare programs shortly afterward. It served as a temporary base for a Civilian Conservation Corps unit in 1936 and as the reception... More »

Laguna Hotel

Posted by & filed under .

Laguna Hotel Cisco (Eastland County) Cisco, Texas prospered in the 1920s in part due to its proximity to the Ranger Field, where an important discovery was made at McCleskey Well No. 1 on October 21, 1917.  As a commercial center and market town with an important railroad link for the transportation of supplies to the... More »

Historic Resources of Dickens County

Posted by & filed under .

Historic Resources of Dickens County Dickens and Spur (Dickens County) Dickens County, named for a soldier at the Alamo, was formed in 1876. Located about fifty miles east of Lubbock on the Llano Estacado, the early economy of Dickens County centered on ranching and agriculture. Settlement increased after the arrival of the railroad in 1909... More »

Mount Vernon A.M.E. Church

Posted by & filed under .

Mount Vernon A.M.E. Church Palestine (Anderson County) Organized as a church and school by freedmen in 1873, Mount Vernon African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church is thought to be the third oldest A.M.E. congregation in Texas. The present structure, completed in 1921, is a prime example of Gothic Revival architecture. It has been individually listed on… More »

Reynolds-Seaquist House – SAVED!

Posted by & filed under .

Reynolds-Seaquist House (1891) 400 Broad Street Mason, Mason County Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Reynolds-Seaquist House is a remarkable Victorian residence that is one of the best examples of Italianate architecture in the Texas Hill Country. Monumental in scale with 22 rooms, 15 fireplaces, a third-floor ballroom, wine cellar, and a... More »

Port Isabel Yacht Club Hotel

Posted by & filed under .

Port Isabel Yacht Club Hotel Port Isabel Yacht Club Hotel (1926) 77 N. Yturria St. Port Isabel, Cameron County Built in 1926 as the Point Isabel Yacht Club, its early years were associated with famed citrus grower John Shary.  Located on the Intracoastal Waterway, the club was soon expanded to include numerous rooms for visitors. Noted guests ranged from Warren... More »

Pig Stand No. 41

Posted by & filed under .

Pig Stand No. 41 Pig Stand No. 41 (1941) 1955 Calder Ave. Beaumont, Jefferson County Built on a prominent Calder Avenue location in Beaumont, Pig Stand No. 41 opened its doors in 1941 at the height of the Dallas-based fast food chain’s popularity. Now shuttered, this classic example of mid-century roadside architecture retains a remarkable degree of integrity. The... More »

Oňate Crossing / Hart’s Mill / Old Fort Bliss

Posted by & filed under .

Oňate Crossing/Hart’s Mill/Old Fort Bliss Oňate Crossing / Hart’s Mill / Old Fort Bliss 1720 West Paisano Dr. El Paso, El Paso County A tract of land on the Rio Grande in El Paso holds archaeological and architectural evidence of many layers of history. From the 1598 crossing of Juan de Oňate along El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro (a... More »

Mary Allen Seminary

Posted by & filed under .

Mary Allen Seminary (1887) 803 N. 4th Street Crockett, Houston County Standing on the crest of a hill one mile north of the town square in Crockett stands Mary Allen Hall, the 1887 administration building of the former Mary Allen Seminary. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the four-story Second Empire-style brick building... More »