Posts Categorized: Most Endangered

Heritage Plaza

Posted by & filed under .

Heritage Plaza Heritage Park, Fort Worth, Tarrant County Heritage Plaza, part of the 112-acre Heritage Park owned by the City of Forth Worth, was designed by internationally-renowned landscape architect Lawrence Halprin (1916-2009), who was known for his work with urban spaces. Heritage Plaza was built to commemorate Fort Worth's rich history as a part of... More »

Hamilton Pool Preserve – SAVED!

Posted by & filed under .

Hamilton Pool Preserve 24300 Hamilton Pool Road, Dripping Springs, TX 78620 Hamilton Pool Preserve is a natural feature in southwest Travis County upstream from the confluence of Hamilton Creek and the Pedernales River. The pool occurs where Hamilton Creek spills out over limestone outcroppings, creating a 50-foot waterfall that plunges into the head of a... More »

Bluff Dale Bridge

Posted by & filed under .

Bluff Dale Bridge County Road 149, Bluff Dale, TX 76433 Completed in 1891, the Bluff Dale Bridge is a exceedingly rare example of a nineteenth-century cable-stayed bridge. The bridge spans 225 feet and has seven one-inch cables that run the length of each side. Towers made of nine-inch pipe support the cables 28 feet above... More »

American National Bank – SAVED!

Posted by & filed under .

American National Bank 111 W 6th St, Austin, TX 78701 The American National Bank building, which opened in 1954, was billed as the “most modern, efficient and service-minded bank in Texas.” For their new headquarters, bank officials hired prominent designers who integrated art and architecture into a thoroughly modern public/private building. The lead designer was... More »

Former Alamo Elementary School – DEMOLISHED

Posted by & filed under .

Former Alamo Elementary School 201 E. 27th St, Houston, Harris County This building has been demolished. The two-story brick building with Romanesque Revival detailing was built in 1913 as the Sunset Heights School. The school, when completed, stood outside the city limits, though it became part of the Houston School District in the 1920s. In... More »

1874 Church

Posted by & filed under .

1874 Church 401 N. Wall St., Belton, TX 76513 This Belton structure, originally known as Old St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, is the oldest standing church in Bell County. The building, constructed of limestone rubble masonry, was finished in 1874. A stone bell tower was added in 1956. The church served as a place for refuge... More »

Mallet Ranch Headquarters Court

Posted by & filed under .

Mallet Ranch Headquarters Court 3917 Wrangler, Levelland, TX 79336 The Mallet Ranch, located approximately 45 miles southwest of Lubbock, was established by David DeVitt and John Scharbauer in 1895. DeVitt and Scharbauer purchased 53,000 acres on the Llano Estacado. Constructed between 1895 and 1948, the ranch headquarters still has five of the original headquarter structures.... More »

Citizens Savings Bank Building

Posted by & filed under .

Citizens Savings Bank Building 111 N Walnut St, Jefferson, TX 75657 The Citizens Savings Bank building was constructed in 1871 during the commercial boom of Jefferson. The property was sold in 1897 and is currently owned by a private individual. Representative of small towns in Texas, the former two-story commercial building has not been maintained... More »

The Hendley Building

Posted by & filed under .

The Hendley Building 2000-2016 Strand St, Galveston, TX 77550 The Hendley Building is the oldest remaining commercial building in Galveston. Constructed in 1860, the Greek Revival-style building is actually four, attached brick buildings located in the Strand National Historic Landmark District. The building was constructed to serve as offices for brothers William and Joseph Hendley,... More »

The Caples Building

Posted by & filed under .

The Caples Building 300 E San Antonio Ave, El Paso, TX 79901 Designed by Henry C. Trost for Richard Caples, a former mayor of El Paso, the 1909 commercial building was the first reinforced concrete structure in El Paso. The Caples Building originally was constructed as a five-story, U-shaped building, and in 1915-1916Trost was commissioned... More »