In Defense of the Past: Preserving Historic Military Sites in Texas
We invite you to join us on Friday, May 19, 2017 in San Angelo at Fort Concho, a National Historic Landmark, for our West Texas Regional Meeting. Registration is $40 per attendee and includes an optional Thursday evening opening reception as well as morning coffee and a box lunch on Friday.
**The Thursday evening reception and Friday meeting will both take place at the historic Commissary at Fort Concho, located at the corner of Avenue C and Burgess**
You will have an opportunity to learn more about a range of philosophical approaches to historic preservation through an examination of historic military sites in Texas while networking with fellow preservationists and exploring historic Fort Concho (1867). Speakers from across the state will present case studies that address the preservation of ruins, restoration of historic structures, reconstruction of lost buildings and the adaptive use of buildings and sites, including:
- Old Fort Bliss – Gary Williams, Senior Program Officer, El Paso Community Foundation
- Fort Brown – Rolando Garza, Archeologist/Chief of Resource Management, Palo Alto Battlefield NHP
- Fort Chadbourne – Garland Richards, President, Fort Chadbourne Foundation
- Fort Concho – Bob Bluthardt, Site Manager, Fort Concho
- Fort Lancaster and Fort McKavett – Cody Mobley, Site Manager, Fort McKavett SHS
- Lawn Atlas Nuclear Missile Silo – Larry Sanders, Texas Forts Trail Board
- Presidio de San Saba – Terrell Kelley, Presidio de San Saba Restoration Corp.
- Fort Martin Scott – Jim McCrae, Fort Martin Scott Advisory Board
In addition, participants will learn about endangered places in West Texas from Preservation Texas, the Texas Forts Trail‘s heritage tourism and preservation efforts and the ongoing revitalization work of Downtown San Angelo.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Thursday, May 18, 2017
6:00 – 7:00 pm – Opening Reception at the Fort Concho Commissary
7:00 – 9:00 pm – Third Thursday Downtown San Angelo Stroll (optional; not organized by Preservation Texas)
Friday, May 19, 2017
8:30 – 9:00 am – Check-in and coffee at the Fort Concho Commissary
9:00 – 12:00 pm – Morning Program
12:00 – 1:00 pm – Box lunch (included in registration) and tour of Fort Concho
1:00 – 3:30 pm – Afternoon Program
HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS IN SAN ANGELO
A discounted room rate of $79.00 has been made available for attendees at the Pearl on the Concho Hotel on Thursday and Friday evenings. Please call 325-653-4500 to book your reservation directly and let them know you are with Preservation Texas. The recently renovated hotel is located at 333 Rio Concho Drive, San Angelo, TX, a short walk from downtown San Angelo and a very short two minute drive to Fort Concho.
We look forward to seeing you in San Angelo!
FUTURE PRESERVATION TEXAS QUARTERLY REGIONAL MEETINGS
Friday, August 11, 2017 – North Texas Regional Meeting in Dallas at Fair Park
Friday, November 3, 2017 – South Texas Regional Meeting in Brownsville at Texas Southmost College