San Jacinto School House
Endangered school house, representing other endangered historic Texas school houses. Established in 1900 for grades one through seven, the San Jacinto School district built a “two-room” two-story school house in 1913. The building allowed for classrooms, a stable to accommodate horses and a canning house on the property. In 1948, the school district demolished that building and built the three-room building that exists today. In 1961 the San Jacinto School House was deeded to the West Sandy Community Center of Walker County. It has since been used for social gatherings, live musical entertainment, voting, and other community activities. Community members see the building as an example for creating awareness in rural communities to the plight of rural schools and their potential reuse in today’s society. The San Jacinto School House and the Crabbs Prairie School House are the only remaining rural schools in Walker County. San Jacinto School House is threatened by neglect and vandalism.