Mary Allen Seminary (1887)
803 N. 4th Street
Crockett, Houston County
Standing on the crest of a hill one mile north of the town square in Crockett stands Mary Allen Hall, the 1887 administration building of the former Mary Allen Seminary. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the four-story Second Empire-style brick building is all that remains of this school for African-American women built during the post-Reconstruction period. The Seminary was founded by the Presbyterian Board of Missions for Freedmen headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and later became Mary Allen College. It closed in 1972.
The Mary Allen Museum of African-American Art and History is seeking to restore Mary Allen Hall by reigniting the same spirit of cooperation and goodwill that led to the school’s founding. Having suffered from fire, neglect and natural disasters, the brick walls remain standing while the interior is in a state of collapse. Through careful preservation planning and support for an ongoing capital campaign, it is hoped that Texans will rally to save this architectural and educational landmark.
For more information, visit the Mary Allen Museum website.