Herff Farm

33 Herff Rd, Boerne, TX 78006

In Central Texas, large farmsteads are threatened by encroaching development and a lack of family members able to carry on the tradition. Located near Boerne, the Herff Farm is an excellent example of the original farmsteads that were founded in the Texas Hill Country by German immigrants.

In 1852, Dr. Ferdinand Herff (1820-1912) acquired large tracts of land on at the confluence of Menger and Cibolo Creeks. Eventually, the farmstead grew to be 10,000-acres. Dr. Herff, a physician based in San Antonio, maintained the farm as a summer home until 1894, when his son, Charles, moved from San Antonio to manage the property until the early 1920s. In 1935, George and Erma Rozelle purchased 68 acres from Charles Herff’s son.


Today, the 62-acre Herff Farm is located in the Cibolo Conservation Corridor and the property was last occupied in the mid-1980s. The family home, a two-story, limestone built in 1883, remains intact along with agricultural and domestic structures. In 2007, the Cibolo Nature Center began the acquisition of the Herff Farm in its efforts to protect and preserve the land for future generations.

Texas is losing much of its farm and ranch land to sprawling, unchecked suburban development which is affecting water quality and wildlife conservation in Central Texas. The Nature Center has fought many battles including the construction of a sewer plant on the site and highway bypasses and will continue to work to promote the awareness of the Farm as both a natural and historic treasure.