Barker-Huebinger Rock House
On FM 539, 5 miles north of Sutherland Springs, TX
The Barker-Huebinger House was constructed in 1871 by Emory and Leah Barker on their 260-acre property. The red sandstone dwelling, adjacent building, and hand-dug well are located on FM 539, an early road that is currently being developed as a history trail.
The rough-cut, sandstone walls of the main dwelling and adjacent building were laid in regular and irregular courses and the corners were detailed with quoins. The four-room house with an enclosed dogtrot hall and three fireplaces served as the Barker’s home until 1879. In 1916, the property was purchased by Rudolph Huebinger and has remained in the family’s ownership.
The buildings have been vacant for many years and have been subject to inappropriate repairs. The current owner is interested in restoring the buildings but the cost of the project is overwhelming.