The Preservation Texas (PT) Emergency Consultation Program provides post-disaster assessments of significant historic properties that have become seriously imperiled. PT is able to arrange for a preservation professional to visit your site and prepare a conditions assessment report with recommendations for stabilization, repair, or selective demolition and salvage as appropriate. This program is made possible through the generous support of the Summerlee Foundation.
Do you qualify?
Please note that we cannot provide direct support to private citizens. Applicants for an Emergency Consultation must be:
- A current member of PT at the organizational level ($100) or higher and
- A 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization of any kind; or
- A local government that participates in the Certified Local Government (CLG) program; or
- A County Historical Commission.
Does the building qualify?
Buildings eligible for consideration for an Emergency Consultation must be:
- Individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places or contributing to a National Register district; or
- A Recorded Texas Historic Landmark; or
- A building typology or building located in a community that has been designated by PT as endangered; or
- An otherwise important resource located in an underserved portion of the state as defined by PT or a county which has been declared by the state or federal government as a disaster area.
What types of disasters/emergencies situations are eligible for consideration?
- Natural disasters (earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods and similar events); or
- Accidents (explosions, fires, crashes and similar events) not caused by the property owner’s own negligence; but
- The building shall not have been in a state of deterioration or neglect prior to the disaster.
How to apply:
- Be sure your membership dues are current or become a new member at the $100 level or above.
- E-mail us your contact information as well your organization’s name, the building’s name and address, a description of what has happened, and be sure to include photographs of the site before and after the disaster occurred.
- We will let you know within 2-3 business days if we can approve a consultation request (sooner if it is critical).
This program is made possible through the generous support of the Summerlee Foundation.
PT reserves the right to decline any request for an Emergency Consultation for any reason.