We invite local preservation advocates, preservation officers and landmark commissioners to a free, informal Preservation Policy Forum in Austin on Tuesday September 18th. The program will be held at the REJ Conference Center (1501 N. Congress) beginning at 10:00 am and ending at 3:00 pm. Lunch will be included at no cost. Prior registration is required.
Please register online here. Deadline to register is Monday, September 17th at noon.
The purpose of the Forum is to discuss local advocacy challenges, provide direction for our 2019 legislative session and educational program planning, and to strengthen our grassroots preservation network.
Preservation Texas board members Ann McGlone (President, San Antonio), Dwayne Jones (Past-President, Galveston), Roman McAllen (President-elect, Denton), Preservation Texas executive director Evan Thompson and program coordinator Ross Oliver, Preservation Austin executive director Kate Singleton, and Dallas Landmark Commissioner Katherine Seale will lead discussions on a range of topics including:
1) Advocating for your local preservation program and its budget
2) Dealing with local neighborhood conflicts
3) Protecting historic resources from a holistic perspective
4) Understanding Hotel Occupancy Taxes for historic preservation
5) Dealing with ethical issues as an advocate
6) The upcoming 2019 legislative session
7) How to apply for 2019 Honor Awards and the 2019 Most Endangered Places list
8) Seeking your input on newsletter content and 2019 educational programming
We look forward to facilitating interesting conversations, sharing new ideas and learning about your local challenges. As a statewide preservation advocacy organization, it is important that we serve as a resource for your community. Your input will make us more effective so that we can serve you.
A map with directions to the REJ Conference Center can be found here. We are grateful to Sen. Dawn Buckingham for sponsoring our use of the REJ Conference Center.
We look forward to seeing you in Austin!